Audit and Risk Manager
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. With a beautiful and vibrant campus, we provide exceptional teaching and practical learning to inspire and equip our students for personal and professional success. Set in the bustling town of Guildford in the heart of the Southeast of England, the University is easily accessible by road and rail with great connections to London. Just a 10-minute stroll from campus, Guildford town centre is alive with bars, restaurants and cafes.
We are currently recruiting for an Audit and Risk Manager to provide independent, objective assurance, on behalf of the Executive Board and Audit and Assurance Committee. The Audit and Risk Manager will work with the Director of Risk and Assurance to ensure that the major compliance risks affecting the achievement of the University’s objectives are adequately managed and controlled. The Audit and Risk Manager will report in to the Director of Risk and Assurance. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team that is going through significant change by centralising assurance functions under a new Governance, Risk and Assurance team. This role will be responsible for leading the management and delivery of the audit function as well as providing support and development of the University’s operational risk approach.
Your key responsibilities as Audit and Risk Manager will include:
- To support the planning and delivery of the University’s annual Internal Audit Plan and Strategy, ensuring that it meets the requirements of the Office for Students.
- To manage the co-source and potentially a small team of risk and assurance specialists.
- To ensure that audit and assurance and follow up work is completed in accordance with agreed plans, is subject to appropriate quality assurance procedures, and is reported to senior management and to Audit and Assurance Committee, promptly, accurately and completely.
- To develop in conjunction with the Director of Risk and Assurance the University’s approach to managing operational risk.
- To ensure that the Risk and Assurance function maintains up-to-date knowledge of professional and technical developments in relation to risk management, internal control and governance, the University’s objectives, risks and KPIs and current issues relating to the Higher Education sector.
- To ensure that the Risk and Assurance function establishes and maintains effective working relationships with governors, managers and staff at all levels across the University.
- To prepare and at the request of the Director of Risk and Assurance present to the Audit and Assurance Committee the formal Risk and Assurance Strategy, plans for implementing that strategy, in-year progress reports and an annual report which includes a formal opinion on the adequacy of the University’s risk management, internal control and governance arrangements and on the arrangements for securing value for money.
Your ideal background:
- Professionally qualified with a relevant degree/postgraduate qualification, plus relevant managerial experience and leadership experience, or substantial experience and proven success in strategically important specialist area.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current risk management, internal control and corporate governance issues.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current internal audit methods and trends.
- Significant experience of presenting review findings and conclusions orally and in writing to a wide range of audiences, including non-executive, board and senior management level.’
- An awareness of the use of data analytics within internal audit and ideally experience of using them and defining the approach.
In light of the current COVID 19 circumstances the Risk, Assurance and Control Team are currently working remotely. This is being reviewed on a regular basis.
Going forward, the Director of Risk and Assurance would be happy to consider flexible working requests which can be discussed upon appointment.
More searches like this
- Assurance Scientific £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Internal Audit Manager Scientific £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Risk Management Scientific £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Corporate Governance & GRC Scientific £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Risk Scientific £40,000 - £49,999 jobs in United Kingdom