IFRS17 Actuary (12 month FTC)
At M&G our vision is: to become the best loved and most successful savings and investment business and we’re looking for people who are excited about joining us on our journey. We’re digitally transforming and investing heavily in technology and innovation to develop new and improved customer propositions that really raise the bar for our customers. To help us achieve our vision we’re looking for exceptional people who live our values and behaviours and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We know that an inclusive environment makes us more accessible and ensures we attract, engage, promote and retain exceptional people. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationality, disability, or military service and welcome those who have taken career breaks. We will consider flexible working arrangements or home working arrangements for any of our roles.
What you can expect from us:
We are committed to creating an environment where you can be exceptional at all you do. To help us deliver this, we promise to:
- Challenge Your Limits by creating a stimulating working environment and providing opportunities for you to be involved in meaningful and challenging work
- Support Your Aspirations with a commitment to learning and development that helps you achieve and build your experience with people who want you to succeed
- Value Your Input whereby leaders and managers will involve you in key decisions, listen to your thoughts and recognise the important contribution you make
- Balance Your Life through a work life partnership that focuses on making this an inclusive, diverse and friendly place to work and offers the flexibility and support that enables everyone to be at their best
How do we support our employees:
All M&G plc employees will be supported in the workplace through our M&G Employee Assistance Programme (EAP). If you need counselling, confidential financial or legal advice. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and offers access to qualified professionals who can provide specialist information, advice and support on many issues. It offers a broad range of services, including help with family issues, maintaining work/life balance and mental health support.
We require an experienced person to fill a role which is not only technically challenging but which will provide a unique insight into the IFRS 17 workings of one of the UK’s largest open with profit funds.
Reporting to the workstream lead, the successful candidate will lead the functional and non-functional testing of the IFRS 17 Engine. This testing will centre around the hands-on construction of a test harness model and the derivation of test cases which will stress the financial dynamics possible under IFRS 17.
The results from the tactical test harness will be compared to those of the strategic vendor-supplied IFRS 17 to ultimately demonstrate its veracity.
This role therefore requires not only excellent model building and analytical skills at its core, but also the ability to communicate with external software vendors and a range of other stakeholders within M&G.
Key Work Level Accountabilities
Manager or Expert:
- For people managers, accountable for managing and motivating others to ensure quality of delivery to customers and stakeholders
- For technical specialists, accountable for delivering expert advice or service, using specialist knowledge and subject matter expertise
- Applies judgement to deliver outcomes, evaluating a range of potential solutions, considering the impact for customers, cost and risk
- Manages conflicts that may impact delivery
- Challenges upwards given knowledge of delivery and awareness of complex systems and the broader picture
- Identifies and anticipates need for changes to continuously improve quality and efficiency of output
- Manages resources and risks using expert judgment, know-how and experience
Key Responsibilities for this role:
- A detailed knowledge the VFA and GMM methods of IFRS 17, including how the analysis of change works for these methods;
- A strong track record in actuarial model development and testing, and the desire and ability to comply ;routinely with modelling best practice including documentation;
- Knowledge of UK with profits type funds and common life insurance products;
- Experience of best practice within actuarial reporting process; and
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Proactive self-starter who takes ownership, and has a strong track record for delivery;
- Experience of working with and managing internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience of finance transformation, ideally on large scale systems implementations; and
- A desire to make a difference.
- Qualified Actuary or Accountant;
- Understands, and complies with, common project management and governance approaches; and
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills, able to process and present information in a structured format to meet demanding timescales, and present in a clear unambiguous way.
Work Level: Manager or Expert
Recruiter Name: Simone Morris
Closing Date: 28th January 2021
We live by four behaviours at M&G and we ask all our employees to:
- Inspire Others - Support and encourage each other, creating an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed
- Embrace Change - Be open to change, willing to be challenged and able to adapt quickly and imaginatively to new ideas
- Deliver Results - Focus on outcomes, set high standards and deliver with energy and determination
- Keep it Simple - Cut through complexity and bureaucracy, be clear and decisive and never overcomplicate things