Employment Duties Specialist
HMRC is the UK’s tax, payments and customs authority, and we have a vital purpose: we collect the money that pays for public services and help families and individuals with targeted financial support.
Large Business (LB) is responsible for over 2,000 of the largest businesses that pay a significant proportion of the total business taxes and duties that HMRC collects. Each business has a Customer Compliance Manager (CCM) who is responsible for managing the overall relationship with the customer and all aspects of the customer’s tax affairs.
We have an exciting opportunity within the Large Business Directorate. The Employment Duties Tax Specialist (ED TS) role involves working on high-profile risk assessment and compliance work on some of the UK’s biggest multinational companies, providing technical leadership within the regional Employment Duties team and helping develop new ways of identifying tax risks in advance and working with customers to prevent these.
This role involves dealing with highly sophisticated, potentially sensitive tax affairs of major UK and international businesses, concentrating mainly on issues with substantial amounts of tax at risk or requiring a detailed understanding and application of theoretical principles of taxation legislation.
Activity is prioritised by a risk-based approach but also extends to relationship management, dealing with in-house tax teams as well as the Big 6 Accountancy firms; and requires an inherent understanding of the commercial approach large businesses take.
You will play a substantial part in our efforts to close the tax gap, ensuring vital public services are funded. What’s more, you’ll be recognised as a senior leader, with scope to help craft our future strategic direction. You will also be encouraged to tackle wider portfolio roles, both technical and non-technical, and assist with capturing and sharing knowledge gained from technical reviews and enquiry work to help develop colleagues.
- Take the lead in interpreting data in conjunction with examining returns, accounts, computations and other documents to understand and identify potential tax risk. Carry out quality compliance checks, establishing facts using an investigative approach.
- Sharing and discussing risk with LB customers, work risks in a professional manner, leading to resolution within HMRC’s published settlement strategy.
- Understand the commercial factors influencing a business's tax compliance and build customer focus into projects and compliance checks undertaken.
- Provide senior technical sign-off of policy submissions and settlement proposals.
- Assist, mentor, coach and develop trainees and colleagues within own team/work area to help them identify, progress and resolve compliance risks.
- Be key in developing the regional strategy to identify and resolve employment duties risk. Actively support the improvement of compliance strategy and processes.
- Collaborate closely and co-ordinate with HMRC specialists and other agencies where appropriate.
- Work closely with Customer Compliance Managers and Tax Professional Managers. Form and lead ad hoc teams set up to undertake specific projects.
- Experience of working with businesses on their compliance with Employment Duties obligations, including technical leadership and directly working or advising on sophisticated tax issues.
- Practical experience or understanding of how large businesses record and manage their businesses and identify their tax risks.
- This is a highly specialised role, you will be expected to provide key technical input in the risk identification and risk working of LB customers.
- As a senior tax specialist within our team, you will need to demonstrate leadership in a technical environment and play a key role in developing others.
If you feel you meet the essential criteria and hold the required qualifications, we'd love to hear from you!
You should hold one of the following qualifications:
- Chartered Institute of Tax (CTA)
- HMRC’s TSP or predecessor qualification (TPDP, ITS2, CPT, FT2);
- Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies membership qualification (such as ICAEW, ICAS, CAI, ACCA, CIPFA, CIMA) or overseas equivalent;
- Postgraduate legal qualification.
- Experience operating at a senior level in an Employer Duties compliance environment.
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Technical Knowledge & Application for Employment Duties Work
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension