Assistant Director, Large Business Strategy & Change, Customer Compliance Group (CCG)
In CCG, we want to provide a quality service to help customers get their tax right. We want to make it easy for our customers to repay or receive the right money at the right time. Our four priorities support this:
Creating a great place to work.
Making a difference how it feels to work together, including wellbeing, work-life balance, developing careers, recognising, rewarding and a respectful and inclusive culture.
Compliance and tackling tax threats.
Getting things right first time, making sure customer experience is quality-focussed. This is about having a sense of pride in what we do.
Getting the basics right for colleagues.
Fixing issues that disrupt service delivery and understanding how it feels to work for HMRC. Giving clear communications, training and support.
Getting ready for the future.
Adapting to changing customer behaviours and rising expectations, using insight and technology to develop our services.
As an Assistant Director in Large Business, you will play a key part in leading high quality delivery of strategy and change for a Directorate of more than 2000 people, working with colleagues within the Directorate but also alongside colleagues across HMRC. You will lead the development of the Large Business data strategy and make sure that the Making Tax Digital programme delivers for Large Business customers.
As part of the leadership team of Large Business Corporate Centre, you will be an influential player in moulding the future shape of the Department. The role therefore requires strong leadership skills, excellent stakeholder management and effective landing of strategy and change in a complex business delivery environment.
Large Business is responsible for HMRC's compliance work with the largest and most complex business customers; businesses which account for some 40% of HMRC's annual revenues.
Our strategy is applied to the UK's 2,000 most complex businesses, which have each been allocated a Customer Compliance Manager (CCM) reflecting our resource intensive, cooperative compliance approach. Using this approach we subject these businesses to an exceptional level of scrutiny and are actively investigating around half of them at any one time. This short animation provides an overview.
HMRC is committed to providing everyone with an employee experience that makes you feel connected to your work, your colleagues and your workplace and proud to be a part of our mission. Our People Strategy sets out how we will create a working environment that gives us all the opportunity to thrive and be our best, and how we reward and recognise your work. New colleagues will get the information you need so you know what to expect and can operate well from day one. If you are a proven leader who is up for the challenge of driving forward HMRC's compliance activity for the UK's largest businesses and building our tax professional and compliance capability for the future then I look forward to hearing from you.
Working to the Large Business (LB) Customer Compliance Deputy Director, the Assistant Director (AD) Strategy and Change leads a multi-grade team of 50 staff, including direct management of 6 Grade Sixes, and has wide-ranging responsibilities:
Strategy and Change
- Developing the LB vision and strategy collaboratively with the LB Leadership Team so the Directorate can make strategic choices about prioritisation.
- Driving the strategic ambition of cooperative compliance through the future Customer Compliance Model (CCM) and data-led risking to transform our compliance activity, ensuring LB has a roadmap to deliver the Customer Compliance Group (CCG) target operating model.
- Driving the evaluation, monitoring and commissioning of LB-led change programmes and impacting of HMRC and CCG led change programmes on the business, through effective governance.
- Leading successful change delivery in LB ensuring effective stakeholder management and communication of the strategy, timeline, and impact of change on our people.
- Delivering the Large Business transformation programme.
Making Tax Digital (MTD)
- Ensuring the team works effectively in delivering the migration to MTD and customer issues are managed to provide a high-quality service.
- Ensuring LB's requirements are represented as the programme extends to Income Tax Self Assessment (ITSA) and Corporation Tax (CT); supporting the G6 leads in ensuring compliance is factored into policy design and LB requirements are met and delivered by the programme.
- Anticipating risks and issues, and mitigating these through excellent stakeholder engagement
- Delivery through the hybrid Risk & Intelligence Service (RIS) and LB Data Analytics team of prioritised activities to the business.
- Ensuring robust monitoring of costs and benefits and that priority outputs are delivered to stakeholders.
- Working with key stakeholders in LB and more widely to develop the data strategy and enable LB to identify and use high-quality data to drive risking and upstream compliance activity.
- Developing innovative data solutions to complex problems to ensure delivery of CCG's future CCM model and risk identification and treatment for complex customers.
The Assistant Director Strategy & Change plays an active role in representing the Directorate's identity and ways of working through corporate leadership and influencing across other parts of HMRC, including:
- The Director and Senior Leadership Team of Large Business
- CCG governance boards, including Making Tax Digital, Data innovation and strategy, Compliance strategy Deputy Directors group and the Portfolio Progress Committee.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
- An experienced people leader who prioritises inclusion and development of teams, driving improvements in our colleague experience that are felt at all levels across large geographically dispersed teams
- Experience in working through others to turn high level strategy into robust comprehensive delivery plans, working collaboratively with senior stakeholders to balance competing demands, commissioning high quality and innovative data analytics to drive transformational improvements and sponsoring project teams to deliver plans successfully
- Ability to navigate quickly relationships with senior leaders in a large, complex organisation to achieve high levels of credibility, while also sponsoring strong engagement and effective landing of change in a complex business delivery environment
- An excellent communicator who has experience and confidence in presenting complex information at the highest levels of an organisation and externally, including with international organisations
- Knowledge of the Large Business operating model
- Experience of working in a tax compliance environment
Whatever your role, we take your career and development seriously, and want to enable you to build a successful career with the department and wider Civil Service.
It is crucial that our employees have the right skills to develop their careers and meet the challenges ahead, and you'll benefit from regular performance and development reviews to ensure this development is ongoing. As a Civil Service employee, you'll be entitled to a large range of benefits.
- 25 days annual leave on entry, increasing on a sliding scale to 30 days after 5 years' service. This is in addition to your public holidays.
- This will be complemented by one further day paid privilege entitlement to mark the Queen's Birthday.
- Interest-free loans allowing you to spread the cost of an annual travel season ticket or a new bicycle.
- A competitive contributory pension scheme that you can enter as soon as you join where we will make a significant contribution to the cost of your pension. Your contribution comes out of your salary before any tax is taken and will continue to provide valuable benefits for you and your family if you are too ill to continue to work or die before you retire. See overleaf for further information.
- Flexible working patterns and access to Flexible Working Schemes allowing you to vary your working day as long as you work your total hours.
- Generous paid maternity and paternity leave which is notably more than the statutory minimum offered by many other employers.
- The use of onsite facilities (where applicable).
- Occupational sick pay.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 15th May 2022.
More searches like this
- Compliance Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Manchester
- Risk Management Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Manchester
- Change Management Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Manchester
- Regulation Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Manchester
- Risk Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Manchester