Portfolio Risk Manager
Your new role
National Highways has an exciting opportunity for a Portfolio Risk Manager to join our Professions team reporting directly into the Head of Profession - Risk within Major Projects Delivery Services.
This is a varied role where you will provide specialist support to deliver an efficient and effective risk management service at the Portfolio/Directorate level within Major Projects (MP). You’ll also drive best practice risk management within MP.
Ideally, you’ll be based from our Birmingham office with travel where necessary.
What you’ll be leading on
- Support the Head of Profession – Risk in developing, embedding and improving the Major Projects directorate risk management process to drive 'best practice' Project, Programme and Portfolio risk management
- Lead on providing functional risk support, advice and guidance to delivery teams in the application of the risk management processes and the use of the risk management system (Xactium)
- Facilitate risk management workshops where required and establish and maintain the directorate risk register ensuring that all risks have owners assigned, and action plans which are implemented in a timely manner
- Look across the Portfolio/Directorate as a whole and assist the programme teams to recognise opportunities to minimise risk through inter-programme and inter-project co-operation and synergy
- Develop, improve and manage all relevant risk management data, KPI’s and reports at the Portfolio/Directorate level
- Lead the formulation, agree and communicate risk policies and standards, and monitor and oversee their implementation
- Chair and manage the risk super user group within Major Projects
- Set up and maintain the processes and interfaces to enable the operation of the risk management database system (Xactium) used in Major Projects
- Promote a risk culture in the organisation and provide support, education and training to staff at all levels
- Plan and manage own Continuous Professional Development to ensure that your personal technical knowledge & skills, and awareness & understanding of industry best practices, is relevant and up to date
To be successful you’ll need
- Experience in a Portfolio Risk Management role within large-scale capital delivery organisation
- Experience of implementing risk management processes and developing appropriate risk mitigation strategies at a Portfolio level
- Experience of capturing, analysing, and reporting risk management data at a Portfolio level
- Experience of training and / or coaching others to develop and put into practice risk management knowledge and skills at different levels
- Track record of managing relationships with multiple stakeholders and evidence of skills to influence relationships for positive outcomes.
- Proven track record operating industry standard risk tools e.g. Xactium, Active Risk Manager
A bit about us
The Major Projects Delivery Services (MPDS) purpose is to make successful delivery outcomes possible through business level controls, developing professions and capability, maximising innovative thinking and being a critical friend.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile, please contact us quoting reference number #1631
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
An informal blended working approach has been adopted for many of our roles across National Highways. We offer many different ways to work flexibly and we’re open to discuss part-time working, job shares, and flexible start and finish times. Please wait until the interview stage before asking us about flexibility, and we will explore what is possible.
Our benefits package
Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus, and employer pension contributions of up to 10%.
We also offer:
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are:
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly – offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertisement expires